Festival Star Rose Adam shares her delicious potato kibbe with zhough recipe, made using Mitolo Family Farms mashing potatoes.
Rose served this dish during our Town Square Kitchen dinner 'Shared' at this year's Tasting Australia, and it's the perfect recipe to share with your loved ones at home.
Potato kibbe with zhough
Ingredients - Potato kibbe
- 500 grams Mitolo Family Farms Mashing Potatoes
- ½ cup cracked wheat
- ½ white onion
- ¼ - ½ cup chopped fresh mint (to taste)
- Salt and white pepper, to season
Ingredients - Zhough
- ½ bunch parsley
- ½ bunch coriander
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ long green chilli, optional, you can omit or add more if you prefer
- Salt and pepper, to season
Method - Potato kibbe
- Place cracked wheat in a bowl with 2 cups of water, leave for 30 min to soak, drain and set aside.
- Peel and dice each potato into 8 pieces, place in a medium pot with cold water and bring to a boil, cook until potatoes are fork tender, drain and mash while hot until smooth, set aside to cool slightly before adding the other ingredients.
- Blitz the onion in a food processor until a smooth paste and finely chop the mint.
- Add the onion, cracked wheat and mint to the potato one tablespoon at a time until well combined, season well with salt and white pepper, go easy on the pepper it packs a punch.
- To serve, place on a serving platter and shape, I used a ring mold but you can use a spoon to smooth over and shape. Using a spoon make 9 little indents to place the zhough in.
Method - Zhough
Place all ingredients, except the lemon juice, in a food processor and slowly add the lemon until smooth, taste as you go and season with salt and pepper. You’re looking a herby, lemon sauce, you can add some oil to help thicken it up.
Fill indents with the zhough and top with sliced radishes and flowers, drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil and eat with crunchy pita or lavosh.
A message from Mitolo Family Farms:
Mitolo Family Farms were extremely proud to be the presenting partner of the Town Square Kitchen this year! To be able to see so many amazing dishes created by some of Australia’s most incredible chefs really highlighted our belief that there is no greater joy to be had than when a family gathers. And nothing brings a family together like food! This is something the Mitolo family understands well and why we’ve been passionate about bringing quality produce to the tables of Australian families for over half a century.