Tasting the World in Charles Sturt Cooking Workshops
Eat, listen and learn treasured family recipes from some of the wonderful people that represent the rich tapestry of cultures in the City of Charles Sturt.
The workshops, to be hosted at Nguntungka West Lakes, will share Italian, Vietnamese, South Indian and Ugandan food, migration stories and teach people how to make some precious family recipes that our presenters brought with them to South Australia from their homelands. These are more than family recipes. They are family histories on a plate and real food made with love. After learning how to make the dish, participants will sit down to enjoy a completed dish with their hosts and received a take-home recipe card.
Recipes, like migration stories, are living time capsules and the glue that connect migrants and their family to their cultural heritage for generations. Sharing them also fosters cross-cultural understanding as we sit, eat, listen and learn about cultural heritage.
Workshop times and dishes as follows:
Saturday 4 May – 11:00am – 12:30pm
- Vietnamese Bánh Cuon / Bánh Uot (Homemade Rice flour Rolls with delicious fillings and dipping sauces) presented by Thi Dam Bui
Saturday 4 May – 2:00pm – 3:30pm
- 3.30pm South Indian Aapam (a 2000 year old Tamil origin dish - made with fermented batter) and Vegetable or Chicken Vellai Korma presented by the Adelaide Tamil Association
Saturday 11 May – 11:00am – 12:30pm
- Ugandan family recipes for Kabalagala (Ugandan pancakes) and Amatooke amanyige, muwogo ne nyama mu binyebwa wamu n'enva endirwa (steamed matooke, cassava served with peanut beef and cabbage with spinach) presented by Brenda Noweka and friends from the Uganda Community of South Australia
Saturday 11 May – 2:00pm – 3:30pm
- Italian Gnocchi presented by Nonna's Cucina
- Food: As specified above.
- Beverages: Non-alcoholic beverages included. Alcohol is not available at this event.
- Additional items: take-home recipe card.
Not all dietary requests can be accommodated. For any specific requirements please contact the event organiser prior to purchasing.
From $25 to $50